Thursday, August 21, 2014

Art Opening / Friday August 22




I have 20 new drawings in a group art show! 
The opening is Friday, August 22 from 5pm-9pm at 580 Hayes Street in San Francisco. 
The show is produced by the Hayes Valley Art Coalition and it runs until September 28th. 

This group of 20 new drawings represents my drawing practice. I had been busy with my graphic design work and then prior to that, my wedding preparation had taken over all of my free time. So I'm happy to say that my drawing is back in action and I already have a much larger project in mind for these works.

If you live in the Bay Area, please stop by the show to say hello on Friday or another time if you happen to be in the Hayes Valley neighborhood.

Here's a small statement I've included with these works:

Drawing is a practice I continue to develop. It’s a learning process that helps me understand line, color, shape, texture, and composition. Each new drawing is an invention with its own problems to be solved, sometimes with success and other times not so much. As each new drawing develops, it informs the next drawing or newly discovered elements may be incorporated into future compositions. This on going learning process is limitless and always expanding. The more I draw, the more I notice the world around me with it’s multitudes of shapes, colors, and textures that exist in endless combinations.
The materials I use are black drawing paper, colored pencil, and white ink. I like these materials because I get a lot of contrast between the black paper and the lighter pencils and ink. Conceptually, I think about darkness or night time and what is hidden in the depths of our thoughts, the natural environment, and in our physical bodies. 
I also think about the passage of time with the creation of my drawings. Since our lives are limited here on earth, my drawings are a record of my hours that may or may not stand the test of time. To learn more about my work, go to www.roseheineman.com.